Sunday, August 30, 2015

Cranberry Orange Scones...Starbucks!


http://www.thehealthymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Gluten-Free-Orange-Cranberry-Scones-2.jpg 



WOW!  Isn't it funny how your mind can jump around all on its own!  Does your mind do that?  Mine does.  I was sitting here thinking I wish I could still eat gluten cause I would go to Starbucks and get a latte and a cranberry orange scone! (I haven't eat gluten in almost 3 years!)  Yum Yum!  I love them but since I can't have gluten to cheat and eat one means I will have several days of issues because of it and I just don't find it worth the effort most days. I decided to do some surfing and see what the internet could offer up!

I found quite a few different scone recipes and settled on this one from The Healthy Maven!
While it is not quite the same as the one at Starbucks it was tasty and filled the need for the scone.

Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Scones

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour + ¼ more for sprinkling*
  • 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup cold 0% fat greek yogurt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries (unsweetened preferred)
  • Optional: 1/3 cup white chocolate chips, melted-for glaze**
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl combine 1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt.
  3. Add in cubed butter and greek yogurt and either using a pastry cutter or your hands (get in there!) combine butter and yogurt with flour mixture until crumbly texture is reached. Should have the consistency of small peas.
  4. In a separate bowl combine eggs, orange juice and vanilla extract.
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry until combined.
  6. Stir in dried cranberries.
  7. Shape dough into a ball and drop onto a lightly floured surface. Add more flour to top of ball and additional flour underneath if sticking.
  8. Roll out dough into a large circle that is 1 inch thick. Dough is a bit tricky to work with but have patience. Add additional flour if still really sticky.
  9. Cut into quarters and then cut quarters in half to make 8 scones. If they lose shape, just re-shape with hands.
  10. Place scones on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes (mine took 17).
  11. Let cool completely if icing with white chocolate or serve warm.

This picture is of the scones I made...yes there are a few gone but OMG!  They were so good hot that I couldn't settle for just one!  I ate two and Chuck was tougher then me he settled for just one!
Now the scones she made look really yummy but I didn't have the white chocolate to drizzle over the top of mine so I just used a simple glaze.  A trick I use to make GF biscuits or scones is I roll them out on waxed paper and just slide them over on to the baking sheet paper and all.  GF breads are really sticky and this saves the headache of trying to work with sticky dough and a lot of times adding more flour only makes the end product dry and tough!
 Give them a try...they are worth it!

No comments: